After a week of enjoyable work, I've got 546 grafted trees. If memory serves me right there are 88 varieties of pears, 68 varieties of apples and 33 varieties of plums. Though it can be tedious at times working with so many varieties I would have it no other way. Diversity is so important to me. Remember the potato famine. A lack of genetic diversity lead to widespread crop failure. The same lessons hold true for tree crops. Additionally, I find it rewarding to help preserve some of the best varieties from Nick Botner's orchard. Hopefully, next year will see twice as many trees grafted.
Sunday, April 3, 2011
Grafting in the Garage
After a week of enjoyable work, I've got 546 grafted trees. If memory serves me right there are 88 varieties of pears, 68 varieties of apples and 33 varieties of plums. Though it can be tedious at times working with so many varieties I would have it no other way. Diversity is so important to me. Remember the potato famine. A lack of genetic diversity lead to widespread crop failure. The same lessons hold true for tree crops. Additionally, I find it rewarding to help preserve some of the best varieties from Nick Botner's orchard. Hopefully, next year will see twice as many trees grafted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment